Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Thanks to the book discussion group last night for a lot of insightful comments and banter. A lot of issues came out of it and we didn’t have time to get into some of them even though they were worth pursuing. Here are a few that I thought might warrant some more feedback from all of you. Please feel free to post comments here and further the discussion.

  • Given the fact that Rosen’s dad and step mom were aloof from her spiritual upbringing, what does that say about the families in our school with similar conditions? Can we expect those students to grow spiritually? How do we overcome the hurdle that it presents?

  • One of the comments (Buzz?) was that Rosen, like others, are looking to follow something bigger than themselves. In Rosen’s case, it was the wonder of science. Which leads to the question, are we presenting a full enough picture of God to our students? What might we need to undertake in order to assure that we do?

  • The idea of certainty came up a lot. Rosen makes many comments about how her education was delivered with a definite air of certainty on most subjects. What issues, as Christian school educators, should we take a position of certainty on? What are the implications of doing or not doing that? Why was this such a big issue for Rosen?

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that there were lots of people who didn't like the book, but there was one thing that really got me thinking that I wanted to share. Rosen talked about how exciting so many of the Bible stories were to her and how the Bible was never disappointing as an elementary student. That really made me think twice about my attitude when I am talking to my second graders about the people, places, and stories that we read about from God's Word. How often have I heard some of these stories and failed to realize just what an amazing book the Bible is?! I don't think I really even listen sometimes. Rosen's remark has challenged me to make God's Word exciting. I have a renewed energy as I try to engage my students in God's Word, especially now as we read the accounts of Christ's birth. I know most of my students have heard the story countless times before, but I really want them to know what an amazing story it is. Not only is it amazing, but it's true! I want them to get excited about it! Through this process, God has shown and revealed many new things in these Bible stories to me, and I know that the Bible never disappoints.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Troy McIntosh said...

Kristen, good point. Rosen seemed to love the idea of something bigger than herself (which God certainly is). That's what I think kids and adults are looking for. We do a disservice to scripture when we treat it any other way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home